Thursday, April 4, 2013

Post Talk

Whoa. It's all over...
I've spent seven weeks working hard on creating an EP and POOF after ten minutes of talking, it's all over. Not entirely, since I'm still writing this blog, but I'm no long presenting and I don't have anything to worry about except not being embarrassed by my own music...



-       Four to Five Minutes: More like seven... 
-       Visual component
o   PPT, Prezi, other? I did use a Prezi that took forever to make. I spent a good two days just creating this Prezi that whizzed and whirled as I made my speech. 
o   Creative and supplemental.  You drive the presentation, not the visual. I surely hope I did... Even jumping up and down while screaming "I know what I want to do in life" kind of scared me.
-       Content:
o   Inspire through your passion This is where I wanted to focus most on my project
o   Show your product I barely showed my product and I somewhat felt like I was focusing too much on my message while somewhat ignoring the project itself. 
o   Explain your process Oh. I mainly talked about my message and only briefly explained my process through my anguish. 
o   What is your purpose?  What should your audience take away from your project? The  whole purpose of this speech was to send a message to my fellow peers to follow their dreams... which is what they also should take away from this speech. 
-       Organization: hook, transitions, logical order, effective conclusion I tried to write in a way that one thing flowed into the other, i.e. how my song about not giving up flowed into the part where I talked about my failures.
-       Delivery: refined, poised, and enthusiastic I definitely felt enthusiastic, although I recall stumbling at multiple points and even choking once... which probably took away a lot from my presentation. 

-       Dream big. My TED Talk was about dreams!
-       Show us the real you. I tried to show the real me during my intro and when I started to sing. 
-       Make the complex plain. Does explaining my deep inner conflict through small stories count? I think so. 
-       Connect with people's emotions. I heard some giggles... I hope.
-       Don't flaunt your ego.
-       No selling from the stage! Oh. Oops. -1
-       Feel free to comment on other speakers' talks, I didn't really have a chance to do that. 
-       Don't read your talk. I think this is the reason why I started to choke up. I actually had note cards but I don't remember looking at them at all. Maybe my self-confidence took the better part of me and caused me to trip.
-       End your talk on time. I'll admit I went over time by a lot. Which isn't so great. 
-       Rehearse your talk I'd like to give a shout out to Brooke and Sam for listening and critiquing all my drafts of my speech. You guys are awesome. 

OVERALL GRADE: 27/30. I actually pondered over that for quite a while. I realized that I didn't really explain my process in depth and in detail. I kind of just flitted over the seven weeks time and jumped right into the main message. With that in mind, I also stumbled across words a couple times which made me a little frustrated and kind of caused me to derail for quite a while. 

I'm actually happy to have done this project and honestly I felt like this is one of  my favorite  projects that I've done (not my work but the whole idea of this project). It was fun being able to flex my creative and musical muscles for a little time and although I'm not happy with the editing, it was still cool to put a CD-R full of burnt music into a radio I had as a little kid and hear my own music come out of it. 

Most importantly I'm happy that I'm able to have a good 8 hours of sleep now... 

hehehehehe. 

Eat Sleep Chill Fly.


1 comment:

  1. I'd like to say that I didn't notice any choking or stumbling that I remember. Also, the singing at the end of it helped to put your presentation as one of the top. While it's true you technically sold from the stage your CD was your product and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone ask where they were available and that was your answer? I believe that was the case, but now I'm not sure. In any case, congratulations on your phenomenal presentation, Eric.

    ReplyDelete